Sheila Ojei’s transition from the public sector to the real estate industry was motivated by a combination of personal and professional reasons. Her experience in the public sector provided her with valuable insights into the challenges faced by MSMEs (Micro, Small, and Medium-sized Enterprises) and the impact of urbanization in Lagos State. This experience made her acutely aware of the population challenges in Nigeria and the importance of building sustainable, affordable, and quality housing options to address the growing population.
Her experience in recruitment tech equipped her with skills in talent management, process optimization, and the use of technology and data for business growth. These skills are highly valuable in the real estate industry, where efficient project management, workforce optimization, and digital tools play a crucial role.
Furthermore, her work in the public sector provided her with an understanding of government policies, regulatory frameworks, and the socioeconomic challenges facing Nigerians. This knowledge is essential for navigating the regulatory landscape of the real estate sector and advocating for policies that promote affordable housing and sustainable development.
She sees opportunities in the real estate industry in various areas:
- Affordable Housing: With Nigeria’s growing population and urbanization, there is a significant demand for affordable housing solutions. Real estate developers can focus on creating affordable and social housing projects in partnership with the government.
- Collaboration with Government: Collaborating with government agencies on infrastructure projects can unlock opportunities for real estate development in emerging areas.
- Environmentally Friendly Practices: Embracing environmentally friendly building practices and energy-efficient designs is appealing to environmentally conscious consumers.
- Changing Lifestyle Preferences: The rise of remote work and changing lifestyle preferences have created a demand for more residential properties and flexible co-working and co-living spaces.
Regarding coping with inflation, Ojei acknowledged the challenges it has posed to the real estate industry. To address these challenges, her company, Landwey Investment, is taking several measures:
- Optimizing Operations: They are continuously optimizing their operations to lower project costs and enhance overall efficiency while ensuring the delivery of quality projects.
- Market Understanding: They invest in understanding the market and its changing trends to make informed decisions and adjust their offerings to align with changing consumer preferences and budgets.
By combining her diverse experiences and addressing industry challenges, Sheila Ojei is working to drive the growth and success of Landwey Investment in the real estate sector.