The Nigerian federal government is tasking states with closing a significant deficit in social health insurance enrollment, with the aim of providing mandatory coverage to all Nigerians. The government has released the National Health Insurance Authority Act 2022 operational guidelines, with the expectation that states will play a lead role in expanding health insurance coverage. Currently, just over 17.8 million people are insured under the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA).
States are now expected to establish health insurance authorities, provide a basic minimum package of health services to enrollees, enroll their employees with premiums paid, and provide the counterpart funding required from states. This shift aims to reduce disparities in population coverage and prioritize healthcare access for all Nigerians. Lagos State has taken the lead in adopting the act, expanding coverage among those in the informal sector, vulnerable populations, and small and medium enterprises.
The act stipulates that state employers and the organized private sector should pay a 10 percent contribution, while employees contribute 5 percent, totaling 15 percent of the employee’s basic salary.
This move underscores the government’s commitment to advancing universal healthcare coverage and access to basic healthcare services for its population.
Source: The Nation Nigeria