Anti-government protesters attacked the Iranian consulate in Najaf on Wednesday setting it ablaze.
The Iraqi government has condemned the attack which left one dead and at least thirty-five people injured.
Protesters have accused Iran of influencing the governance of their Iraq. They are also calling for a total overhaul of government.
Meanwhile, the staff of the consulate was unhurt as they were evacuated before the attack.
An eyewitness said that protesters surrounded the Iranian consulate in Najaf and they then set fire either to the building itself or the fence that surrounds the building.
The protesters went on to remove the Iran flag and hoisted the Iraqi flag at the consulate.
One person was reportedly killed and thirty-five wounded after police opened live ammunition on the protesters.
Meanwhile, Security Agencies have warned against the exploitation of the unrest and protest in the country.
It warned that the unrest can resurrect the dying Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL) if not stopped.
Former Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi expressed concern over both the violence and the financial toll of unrest late on Tuesday.
Mahdi had earlier resigned as protesters called for an overhaul of government.
“There have been martyrs among protesters and security forces, many wounded and arrested. We’re trying to identify mistakes made by security forces in trying to put down the protests, ” Mahdi said.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.