According to Wikipedia, fashion designing is the art of applying design, aesthetics and natural beauty to clothing and its accessories. It is influenced by cultural and social attitudes, and has varied over time and place. Fashion designers work in several ways in designing clothing and accessories such as bracelets and necklaces.
Fashion designing is one fast and growing business within Nigeria and across the countries. it is very lucrative and an opportunity for creating business. it is highly profitable and as a small fashion designer you can at least make up to 30, 00 Naira weekly.
If you have a flair for designing and you can put fabrics together, then you can make it a money-making machine. there is nothing sweet as making money from what you love doing.
Below are things you put in place to start a fashion designing business.
- Develop a name: names are very important because they give you business a unique identity.
- Register your business: ensure you register your business name with the corporate affair commission (CAC) to possess a business name certificate.
- Have a vision; write down your vision statement. this will serve as a guide to a successful business.
- Create a business plan: planning is one important tool to success. you must have a plan you implement. write down a good business plan. you should consult a business consultant or hire a good writer specializing in business plan writing, business proposal writing, etc.
- Source for finance; this is one important element you put under consideration. without finance, the business is likely to fail. the money require to start up the business should include, human resources, transportation, rent, and equipment.
- Know your target audience: you should know those willing to patronize you. customer are the most important in a business. without customers, the business is prone to fail before starting. you should be able to satisfy your target audience. know the trending styles, colors, design, etc.
- Ensure your equipment are ready: ensure you provide the essential equipment for your business e.g, sewing machine, scissors, tapes, pressing iron, generators, etc.
- Create a social media platform: to boost sales and patronage, create social media accounts e.g, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc. ensure you create a website for your business so as to create awareness before bringing your business to life.
other things you should put under consideration as a beginner in fashion designing business are customer relationship, time management, and good communication skills.